Moon shots

Started Sep 25, 2007 | Discussions thread
TheD70Kid Regular Member • Posts: 149
Hey Dejan....

First off, don't be afraid to play around. Take a picture and look at you image and tweak your settings from there. For me, I learned by trial and error. Second, try and use a tripod.

DON'T shoot in P mode. This will most likely not produce the results you are looking for. When I shoot the moon I will set my ISO to the lowest settings (ISO 100-200). I will set my shooting mode to M. I tend to shoot at f/11, this is my personal preference and you can shoot at other apertures as you see fit. I myself will play around with my aperture and shoot at different ends of the spectrum.

The next step is to begin to adjust you shutter speeds, which will vary depending on: the phase of the moon, the amount of darkness, desired "color" of the moon, ISO, and lens that you are using (other variables may be taken into account, these are just a few). I will usually start off at a shutter speed of 1/200s.

So that's ISO 100, f/11, and Shutter=1/200s. I will then look at my image. If the image appears too dark, I will decrease my shutter speed, however, you don't want to make your shutter speed too low, as the moon will be constantly moving. If your shutter speed drops to a point that your image isn't looking sharp, increase your ISO to 200. You could also change your aperture value to a to say f/8, but I think 99% of the time you will be ok.

If your image appears too bright, increase your shutter speed. I'm sure you know all this, but I'm trying to stress to play around with your setting till you feel you are getting the image you desire.

I would use the 80-200mm because, of the 3 lenses, I think that this will produce the least amount of CA (Chromatic aberration, "the ugly purple ring"). and watch out for ghosting, most of the time I have not had issues with ghosting. Good luck and have fun!

These are only my techniques, others may have a different way of "shooting the moon." Take advantage of the LCD, look at your image, and adjust your settings till you are happy.

-Danny

Here's a recent "Lucky shot". No, it's not the greatest example, but under my conditions it was very neat to get. Taken while driving back to Chicago from Colorado (I was not personally driving the car). Taken while moving!

ISO 100
f/2.8
1/250"
200mm (70-200mm f/2.8 VR)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow