A700 vs. KM5D high iso comparison

Started Sep 23, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Richard B.
Richard B. Veteran Member • Posts: 5,881
A700 vs. KM5D high iso comparison

I had some time this afternoon so I shot a test series comparing the A700 to the KM5D at high iso. All shots with the CZ16-80 at 80mm, f8, tripod mounted with 2s delay. Extra-fine Jpegs are out of the camera, the raw shots were converted in Lightroom using default settings. No additional processing. I shot series for iso 800, 1600 and 3200. (The color on the KM5D appears a little off, but I think this is likely due to the AWB being faked out by the mixed natural and incandescent lighting. The 5D usually does much better color wise.)

Link to the gallery: http://www.pbase.com/richard_b/a700_tests

Click on the "original" link for the full size image.

I am sure everyone will have their own opinion, but my observations are that the KM5D raw and jpeg simply gets noisier, but retaining detail, as iso increases. The A700 extra fines jpegs appear pretty soft to me, even at 800. The A700 raw shots show very good detail to my eyes at iso 800 and 1600. At iso 3200 the A700 raw image is starting to show a mottled, painting like quality rather than speckling from noise. Having said that, I can still read the Seiko legend on the watch in all the A700 shots, I am not sure its possible on the KM5D 3200 shots.

Note: at time of posting this message, pbase hadn't finished rendering all the sizes. However, the originals should all be there, so please feel free to download for further inspection.

-- hide signature --
 Richard B.'s gear list:Richard B.'s gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +7 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow