D200 battery sensor freaks out in heat?

Started Sep 22, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jfriedl Senior Member • Posts: 1,557
D200 battery sensor freaks out in heat?

I was at my son's Sports Day event today, using my D200 + 70-200/2.8 on a monopod, standing mostly in the sun, and after an hour or so, the camera started acting very strange. Even though the battery still had plenty of juice, the camera would report that the battery was empty. If I turned the camera off and on again, it was fine for a few more shots until it would again say the battery was empty.

I know the battery was not empty because the "Battery Info" page matched my experience about what to expect from the battery, and it continued to happen with a fresh battery as well. After power cycling the camera, the "Battery Info" would tell me that the charge was at 98%, yet after one or two shots the camera would lock up with the flashing empty-battery indicator.

Another indication that the batteries were actually fine is that I could continue this on-again-off-again picture-taking for hundreds of shots. By the time the event was over, the 2nd battery (which I swapped to when this all started) which started at 98% was down to only 73%.

It was fairly hot (in the 90s) and the sun was unrelenting. I thought that maybe it was the heat, but even after moving into the shade, it continued for an hour.

Any ideas? I'm wondering if I'll have to bring it into Nikon for service )-:

Jeffrey

-- hide signature --

Jeffrey Friedl -- Kyoto, Japan -- http://regex.info/blog/

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow