Please help - K100D - metering issues - am I crazy?

Started Sep 20, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BeckyW Regular Member • Posts: 286
Please help - K100D - metering issues - am I crazy?

I have had my K100D since about April. I am working really hard to improve my photos. I really feel like my meter may be off. Last night I took some photos at my friend’s dance studio. Please give me your comments.

Below the text is a representative shot – RAW, smc PENTAX-DA 18-55mmF3.5-5.6 AL lens (kit lens), ISO 1600, 1/125sec, F5.6, Shutter Priority Automatic Exposure, multi-segment metering, auto WB, Exposure Compensaton:0, Autofocus area mode:Automatic, Color space:sRGB, Image tone:Bright, Flash:off..

When I got home and started converting the images to jpg, I was 1 to 1.5 stop underexposed.

I have seen this happen before when shooting RAW and testing with a greycard. I posted before and received a couple of comments that said that was just fine.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=24730944

I shot some photos of my son at his soccer game this weekend – not RAW – I shot JPG since I expected to shoot a lot, and they came out perfectly exposed. Should I have expected that a scene like this one would need to have exposure compensation? The floor in the studio is a pale grey – the walls are a rather strong gold (not pale). The lighting was mostly overhead fluorescent, though there are windows high in the studio which let in natural light – the lighting was not strong as you can see with having to use ISO 1600 to be able to get a 1/125 speed to photo dance.

Is my meter off? Would you expect to have to do exposure compensation to photo this scene? What is your method for checking this as you are shooting. Do you check your histogram after taking a few shots and then adjust your exposure compensation? I would not have thought I would have needed to use exposure compensation unless I was shooting in snow or at the beach.

-- hide signature --

Becky
new owner of a Pentax K100D & eager to learn

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow