Strange banding problem with new A650

Started Sep 15, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
fperez New Member • Posts: 6
Strange banding problem with new A650

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, but I've been following closely the A650 threads. I've had an A80 for years which I'd waited to upgrade, and finally the 650 had what I had been waiting for. Mine arrived yesterday and this morning I eagerly went out for a walk to test it out.

Much to my disappointment, I found extremely serious and weird-looking banding problems. Since also contacted Canon about it, instead of embedding the images in this thread I put them up on Picasa:

http://picasaweb.google.com/fdo.perez/A650Problems

Those are smaller resizes of the originals, but I can put up the full 12MP originals if someone wants to analyze them in more detail.

Any ideas, suggestions? Just bad camera? I'm more worried that it's a firmware bug and that replacing this particular camera won't help much.

I should note that other images I shot (trees, skies, etc, I was walking in a park near my house) were all OK. I only saw this nasty issue with the flower closeups.

I'm totally puzzled and seriously disappointed, since I was extremely excited with the camera. While the build quality and ergonomics is poorer than on the A80, the feature and lens improvements are very substantial and I was really looking forward to enjoying it. Even worse, in a few weeks I leave for a vacation in Europe and I really want to use this camera there, but with this image problem, I feel like I simply can't trust it.

Thoughts, ideas? Thanks in advance!

Fernando.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
gkl
gkl
gkl
gkl
gkl
gkl
gkl
gkl
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow