format. When the television is selected to photo mode the results are
amazing. Like having a 37 inch computer monitor. Much, much more
detailed than looking at photos on an ordinary TV, or even an HD
television.

I have to wonder if Oly's is being left behind with the 4/3 aspect
ratio.

Thinking about four thirds in general:

"You can shoot in 16:9 ratio format (the only DSLR that does this)"

The Panasonic L1 (and presumably the Digilux 3) allow you to shoot in 16:9 although it's simply cropping which means the A700 is not the only one to do this but it's not the first either. Unless I'm missing something and it's sensor isn't a standard 3:2 format which is cropped for 16:9

With regards to the Sony in general, I did read through the preview with interest as something that puts me off Nikon/Canon is the lack of inbody IS. The lack of liveview puts me off, even in it's more limited fashion on the E-510/L1 I still find it useful and it doesn't compromise the rest of the camera. What would put me off moreso though is the Sony lenses, while I'm sure they're good quality when looking at the A100 the lenses seemed expensive plus few and far between. It's one of the aspects which I've found to be a disadvantage of Olympus (Canon and Nikon lenses are everywhere) but it's definitely something that's ni a better position than Sony anyway and looks to be improving reasonably quickly with the popualrity of the E-410/E-510.

John

JohnMcL7's gear list:JohnMcL7's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony RX100 IV Sony RX10 II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D750 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow