Sorry guys, but it's probably not a glass prism

Started Sep 5, 2007 | Discussions thread
dkloi Senior Member • Posts: 1,952
Re: Sorry David, but it IS definately a glass prism!!

I'm also slightly worried about the language they use
to describe the noise reduction, AA filter, and look of the image. It
could imply a fairly heavily smoothed image and I hope it isn't.

The bit about a 3 layer optical low pass filter did catch my eye. They were touting reduced moire. I have found a patent which could be relevant:

Abstract of WO2007083661

An infrared radiation is blocked by providing a coating layer (11) comprising high-refractive index and low-refractive index layers stacked alternately on a base material (10) in its light incident face. One of the high-refractive index layers is formed of an ITO film (11a) to enhance electroconductivity of the surface of the coating layer. Preferably, the outermost high-refractive index layer is formed of a transparent electroconductive material from the viewpoint of imparting electroconductivity to the surface of the coating layer to more reliably suppress the adherence of dust. Further, preferably, the sum total of thicknesses of the refractive index layers provided outside of the high-refractive index layer formed of the transparent electroconductive material is not more than 140 nm.

I actually think it just means that the third layer (sandwiched in between the other two) is the Indium Tin Oxide layer which they use in the "anti-dust" system. Otherwise, it seems to be a conventional IR filter/low pass filter.

Cheers,
Daniel.

dkloi's gear list:dkloi's gear list
Sony RX100 II Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony a5100 Sony a7 III Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +22 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow