The LiveView Poll

Started Sep 5, 2007 | Discussions thread
optical_illusion Senior Member • Posts: 1,029
Re: LiveView is indispensable

Perhaps you wouldn't need liveview because you are accustomed to film SLRs that do not have the feature. And technically it's not indispensable. But it's indispensable in terms of marketing/sales viewpoint, since the OP asked about it from the sales viewpoint.

You can take photos without AF, shake reduction, high ISO, high resolution, and dust reduction, but can you imagine today's DSLRs without these features? Do you think such cameras can be profitable to the manufactures? These features are indispensable for good marketing. In this respect, I said liveview is indispensable. If Sony had the much higher brand value in DSLR business, it might be fine without liveview. But even Canon and Nikon offer the feature with their latest models now. I can imagine store staff would say, "May I help you? I see you're looking for a DSLR. A700? Ehh, well, not bad, but it doesn't have liveview. How about 40D or D300?" I do not think the specifications fo A700 are bad, but I think the specs are bit weak, compared to competitors'. Thus I think the lack of liveview would hurt the sales of A700. Time will tell.

As for technical advantage of liveview, it's useful and effective for MF (especially with APS-C DSLRs that has a small OVF), low & high angle shooting, and AF adjustment to solve problems with front & back focus.

PS: It's funny some people are saying liveview is not needed. I wonder whether or not these people would say the same thing even if A700 had the feature.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJL
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
psn
RVG
(unknown member)
ck3
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
itt
tom
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow