The LiveView Poll

Started Sep 5, 2007 | Discussions thread
LarryMcArdle Regular Member • Posts: 341
Who chooses a camera by 'LiveView' alone?

Really?

Who is going to drop $1500-$2000 on a camera based on ONE feature?

Is a consumer really going to narrow down their choice to a Sony OR a Canikolympus, and come to the conclusion that the cameras are equal across full feature sets, image quality, accessories, and price point, BUT FOR this one feature?

I just don't see it.

People who choose a DSLR based on one feature are like people who vote for political candidates based on a single issue. And those single-issue voters are frequently disappointed at all the other baggage they end up getting with their one-dimensional candidate.

I shot 5000+ images with my Olympus P&S and always used the live view. Now after 15000+ with the Maxxum 5D, I can say it matters very, very, very little to me.

Maybe 25-50 shots of 15,000 would have been more convenient for me with a live view, but only if the camera also had a swiveling LCD screen. Without that additional feature, I'd say less than 15 of 15K shots would've been impacted. And since this is digital, I can simply take more photos to make sure I get the result I want.

I understand certain, very constrained, circumstances where a live view would be useful. But many of the examples cited - overhead shots over a crowd, for instance - are borderline humorous to me. If I'm holding a camera over my head to get a shot over a crowd - I'm in the wrong place to get a good (let alone publishable) photo. I've got to compose with my feet, and get in front of that crowd!!!

I remember all the teeth-knashing by people about high ISO noise on the A100, above ISO 400. Now Sony releases a 12MP CMOS that (until reviews say otherwise) holds the promise of magical images up to ISO 1600, but, oh, now it doesn't have live view!

I have yet to have someone look at one of my photographs and say 'Wow! That's incredible. I'll buy it - but only if it was shot with a live view on the LCD!'

No way is this a deal-breaker. Not even close.

LarryMcArdle's gear list:LarryMcArdle's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJL
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
psn
RVG
(unknown member)
ck3
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
itt
tom
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow