Fireworks

Started Jun 12, 2007 | Discussions thread
Cliff Fujii
Cliff Fujii Veteran Member • Posts: 8,322
I think that's too much f/...

I generally set my camera to ISO 100, f/13, an ND filter, all manual, on a tripod, and with the remote release, I try to get three or four big bursts.

I generally frame the image so the entire possible field of view is available. Sometimes I need to crank out the zoom so I can get more impact.

Why f/13? That's the highest I can go (D200) before diffusion starts to rear it's ugly head.

Why the ND? That brings the EV of the three burst image within my ISO and f/stop parameters. The value of the ND needs to be adjusted so that the highlights are not 255. I wonder if the Active D-Lighting feature of the D300 would help out with this?

When I get the D300, I might have to adjust the ND filter because of the minimum ISO of 200. I don't like to shoot with the special values because it's been my experience the the results are not as good as I would have liked them.

I generally use my 17-55 f/2.8 or my 12-24 f/4 to photograph fireworks.

Gee, I wished they didn't introduce the 14-24 f/2.8, now I'm going to think about getting one...

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Cliff Fujii's gear list:Cliff Fujii's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D810 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon Z7 +52 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow