Comparison of five lenses at 50mm

Started Aug 8, 2007 | Discussions thread
GaryW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,617
Re: Updated results

I did a test on some fairly distant trees (probably less than 1000 feet though?) at f4.5, and things much closer were perfectly in focus. I dunno, looks fine to me. Of course, it's hazy today, so if I posted the pic, people would complain that it's jam over my lens. :-/ Yet, I can count slats in a fence, bricks on walls, etc. (Doesn't mean that there are better lenses either, of course.)

It's a tad softer on the sides, but not abnormally so. I mean, when I looked at ratings for lenses, almost all of them were less sharp at the corners to one degree or another.

Mine doesn't seem that bad as the original poster's, but then, I'm surrounded by trees and don't have the distance to test any further right now.

Leon van Roosmalen wrote:

Looking at the pictures I can't see were the lens is focussed. The
areas your comparing are not in the center and the corner crop is on
a different distance.

I agree -- this is in both test photos.

If you manual focus on infinity there are a lot of lenses that go
beyond infinity to compensate for temperature influence.

I think all of my lenses do it. I have a hard time manually focusing as it is, and this doesn't help.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow