How's the Nikon 200-400mm VR for Motorsports?

Started Aug 14, 2007 | Discussions thread
Cameranserai Contributing Member • Posts: 609
Re: Good question

In one word? Brilliant. I live at Le Mans, am taking it to Goodwood and then Watkins Glen for both classic racing series. The speed of focus, the sheer efficacy of having the zoom, the lens was made for motor racing. I used the 70/200 with TC14 & 17 but needed more reach (I am a photographer/journalist) and agonised over this or the 120/300 Sigma. I bit the bullet and find it to be a stellar lens. The earlier criticism of only f4 might hold water (slightly) as far a bokeh is concerned but in low light with the VR it is still stellar. If you want to read a good review go here:-

http://www.hickingbotham.com/reviews/nikon300200400.htm

Before anyone else comments on other lenses, I tried the 80/400 and it is a waste of space. It hunts, is slow to focus and gives more shots of an empty track than I've seen before. Let me assure you that you have made (or are making) a purchase you will never regret. Canon users are extremely jealous of this lens, let me tell you. Just me sure you have a decent monopod and head. I use the Bogen/Manfrotto 695 with 3229 swivel/tilt head.

May I put in a word for Eldar at Ephotocraft? He didn't have it in stock but got it for me at short notice at a very reasonable price of $5,050.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow