Mega lens comparison

Started Aug 11, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DF Veteran Member • Posts: 5,255
Mega lens comparison

Hi there,

I've had some time to do a reshoot of the Zeiss vs. Nikkor 35mm comparison that I posted at the beginning of the week.

( http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1030&message=24270683 )

This time, I set up the target avoiding resolution test charts that had caused aliasing and color artifacts, which Julia and others pointed out. I set up the new scene like this:

While I was at it, I'm afraid I went a little wild this time. Instead of comparing just the two 35mm models (Zeiss Distagon 35mm ZF and Nikon AFD 35mm), I've also included the following lenses:

Nikon AIS 45mm f/2.8P
Nikon AFD 50mm f/1.4
Nikon AFD 85mm f/1.4
Zeiss Planar 85mm f/1.4 ZF
Nikon AIS 85mm f/2.0
Nikon AIS 105mm f/2.5
Nikon AFD 105mm f/2.0 DC

This should allow you, if interested, to look at the output from several similar pairs of lenses that get mentioned now and again in questions on this forum.

Here are some details of the shoot: D2x; tripod mounted; self-timer; RAW; AWB; no flash; AF lenses autofocused in AF-C; color mode I (Adobe); processed in ACR 4.1: No WB adjustment, exposure very slightly tweaked, minimal sharpening applied only to remove effects of AA filter.

As before, I beg your forgiveness for elements of this comparison that were sloppily done or not rigorously controlled. I'm sure I've made many mistakes through laziness or inattention. This was not meant to be a lab test, but rather a rough visual comparison.

In the next three messages that I will post beneath this one you will find the following comparisons:

WARNING: These files are VERY large. Dial-up users beware!

1. 100% center crops at several apertures. The posted full size image looks like this:

2. 100% edge crops (lower right corner), wide open and at f/5.6. The posted image looks like this:

3. 100% crops showing bokeh at f/2.8 and f/5.6. That posted image looks like this:

I have included some brief comments and impressions about the results. Ultimately, though, you will draw your own conclusions, and they may differ from mine.

You must of course bear in mind that I only had access to one sample of each lens. Thus, while I have no solid reason to suspect that any lens sample was particularly stellar or particularly subpar, not all results may be typical of each lens' potential. Bear in mind, too, that the results are influenced by inconsistencies in AF performance, and (perhaps more so) by inconsistencies in my manual focusing.

I hope you find some of this interesting and helpful. If you have any questions, I'd be glad to try to answer them.

Best wishes,

David

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
DF
DF
DF
DF
DF
DF
DF
DF
DF
DF
DF
DF
DF
DF
(unknown member)
DF
DF
DF
DF
DF
DF
DF
DF
DF
DF
DF
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow