Dynamic Range Examples: Nikon D2Hs, Nikon D200, Fuji S5 Pro

Started Aug 8, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
smhagger Senior Member • Posts: 1,418
Dynamic Range Examples: Nikon D2Hs, Nikon D200, Fuji S5 Pro

Last month I shot a wedding under brutal conditions: 90+ degree heat, direct sunshine at 2PM in the afternoon, groom and groomsmen all in White Tuxes, Fill flash needed to prevent terribly dark shadows under the eyes. I didn't set out to make this a direct comparison--I was simply shooting a wedding with three different cameras. I decided to post some examples of each here so that someone here may find this info useful.

A quick note: the S5 Pro was set to 'Auto DR' and later tweaked manually in post processing to preserve the highlights and was set to ISO100. The D200 was also set to ISO100. The D2Hs was set to ISO200 (lowest setting), and I didn't stop the lens down further (set to f/7.1) due to not wanting too much dof. Flash was used on all these shots.

Again, these are just a few random samples (forget about composition, etc. for this comparison). Please don't get too hung up about the artistic or other technical details--I have plenty of good to excellent shots from this wedding and the Bride and MOB were both very happy with the output from the wedding. These shots posted here are simply for the discussion about the DR comparison between these three bodies. On that note, I hope some of you find this interesting/useful.

For those curious about resolution comparison between the D200 and the S5 Pro: they are very comparable when the S5 Pro is shot in 12 MP mode and slightly downsized to match the D200's 100% size. The D200 still shows a slightly sharper image--perhaps?

D2Hs:

D200:

S5 Pro:

They say a picture is worth a 1,000 words; above is 9,000.

Look at the whites and tell me what you think. I have plenty of other samples if you don't like these. I should actually remove some of these from the gallery, they're blown so badly.

Sean

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow