worth buying a Canon EF 50mm f1.8 mk II?

Started Aug 7, 2007 | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,268
absolutely!

Shaunh wrote:

... The 50 mm 1.8f is fairly affordable compared to most lenses but I'm
just wondering if its worth it considering I have the 18--55mm zoom
kit lens?

Buying the 50/1.8 is not 'worth it' when you look only at the focal length - because you've already covered that with your kit lens zoom.

But other than that, you'll be able to 'experiment with DOF' as you had mentioned. Wide open (and at closer distances) you'll be very surprised at the shallow depth of field.

The 50/1.8 will allow shooting images in low light situations where you'd otherwise need to increase ISO too far. Or, with a combination of high ISO plus the 50mm lens, you'll be able to take impressive potraits without flas. Careful though - subject movement will become very apparant (at those slow shutter sppeds).

The lens is (fairly) compact, so you'll be able to carry it with you in a jacket pocket. That's an advantage over some zooms or other primes.

The 50/1.8 was not designed for and not built to satisfy the demands of a photographer on safari who will change lenses 30 times a day, will need to change them quickly, thus tossing them onto the Land Rover's seat. What I mean is - take care handling the lens.

As with your kit lens, the 50/1.8 has a plastic bayonet along with many lower cost housing components. It isn't 'bolted' together in order to withstand harsh mechanical stress. A little TLC when using it and you'll enjoy it for years.

And, as you mentioned yourself, the lens price is quite attractive. Please do me personal favor - if you get the lens and wish to 'test it', don't take shots of newspapers or brick walls at two feet distance. Take some portraits, shoot some nice scenery, take some shots at a local pub. But no newspapers, please!
--
Mike Baginy

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
NmD
(unknown member)
MM1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow