Weekly Wildlife Thread aug 5 2007

Started Aug 5, 2007 | Discussions thread
Boo Veteran Member • Posts: 6,918
They liked whole peanuts off the ground

richard bennett wrote:

Boo lovely shots from a lovely area. I particularly like the Jay and
I have been trying to capture a clear one for over a year. One landed
in my garden yesterday but I wasnt quick enough.

Thank you. There have been a family of Jays in this place we stop for many years and I've never got anything like a close enough shot before this summer. There were the three of them and we found that as long as I scattered some peanuts on the ground, they'd come for them regularly until they were all gone, then would complain loudly until I took some more out, so it might be worth trying - they left the sunflower hearts totally alone and only took from the ground - although the youngsters went on the table, Mum never did. They were quite cheeky in the end - although still very skittish - I had to be ready with the camera poised when they landed or I'd not get anything - the slightest movement or creak would send them off.

All three had the same highly amusing technique - they'd land on this single fencepost at a corner in the fencing - look back and forth surveying the peanuts, with their heads cocked right over, give out a loud cry, then in order to drop to the ground, would actually leap vertically in the air then drop, seemingly without using their wings. They'd eat what they wanted, then fly off to the woodland with two or three peanuts stuffed in their beaks and eat those on a favourite perch.

I've a lot more shots, but that was the only one actually finished yet. One dropped one of the bright blue striped feathers one day and I have it here, it's totally beautiful and a very intricate patterns of graduated stripes.

My best missed shots was a pair of stoats that ran into the road and caused us to slam the brakes on - the male carried on into the verge, but the female decided she was pretty damn affronted by us nearly hitting them and doubled back to have a go at us - she stood her ground in front of the car and used some very choice stoaty language! Most unhappy she was. I just couldn't get the lens over the dashboard, for laughing and lack of angle, to get a shot. then the male came to fetch her saying "leave it babe, they're not worth it" and she had one last cuss and was gone.

-- hide signature --

So many photos, so little time . . .
http://www.peekaboo.me.uk - general portfolio & tutorials
http://www.boo-photos.co.uk - live music portfolio
http://imageevent.com/boophotos/ - most recent images

Please do not amend and re-post my images unless specifically requested or given permission to do so.

Boo's gear list:Boo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Boo
Boo
Boo
Boo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow