Artistically photographing a headstone ??

Started Aug 3, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
valeriecook Contributing Member • Posts: 942
Artistically photographing a headstone ??

OK - I have an odd (maybe) question. I was fairly active on this site for awhile until early summer when my 58 year old mother's ovarian cancer progressed and she was under hospices' care (as well as me and my dad's care) for about 1 1/2 months until she passed away at the end of June.

Anyway - my dad asked me to photograph her stone )-: . He wants me to send prints of it to the family members who will receive a copy of the DVD slideshow I made for the memorial service. (mom picked out the pictures and music for me to make it - I kept asking her what she was punishing me for??? We laughed about that often towards the end as I was trying to get it done for her)

The stone is black, shiny and polished. The engraving is white with a Marine Corps Emblem by my dad's name and a running horse near my mom's name and dates. It's set in a rural cemetery.
Equip I have include D200, 17-55 2.8, 18-200VR, 3x SB-800s, tripod.
Any ideas for lighting this to make a nice 'portrait'

I know I can experiement on my own, etc - I am just looking for any cool ideas to make this a shot that maybe I can look at with a bit less sadness - and I am afraid that once I get out there to do it - I will be too upset to get it right.
Thanks for any ideas.
Val
--

Val
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vals_photo1class
Just learning as I go.....

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow