Is AFS / HSM a must for sports?

Started Jul 11, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Hockey Nut Regular Member • Posts: 386
Is AFS / HSM a must for sports?

I've posted a number of questions concerning lenses here over the past couple of months and received a wealth of feedback ... I've just about saved enough money to go ahead with my purchase. I've been waffling between / agonizing over the the Nikon 80-200 and the Sigma 70-200 for a couple of months now in an attempt to get the best lens to shoot my kids' soccer & ringette games as well as high school sports. (For the record, I can't afford the Nikon 70-200 VR)

I was at a local camera shop looking at these lenses (again) on the weekend and

both lenses - Nikon 80-200 2.8 macro version and the Sigma 70-200 2.8 non-macro version - are listed at the exact same price, which is roughly about $100-200 less than the prices for the currrent versions. Both are older models, but come with respective warranties (5 years for Nikon & 10 for Sigma). I'm also wondering if retailers would be open to further price reductions on lenses that are not in the current manufacturer's lineup. Any experiences in this regard?

I've handled the Sigma about 6-7 times so far and I like it, but got the yellow cast on many of the test photos (white balance issue). I also really liked the feel & handling of the Nikon and I'd prefer to get this lens ... but, it's not the AFS version so the Sigma "should" have the advantage of quicker focusing, which is what the sales clerk said.

I have seen some wonderful pictures generated with these two lenses from this forum & from other sites, and read reviews and I know I can't go wrong but I just want to ensure that any purchase I make will not leave me having to answer to my wife (who really doesn't want me to go ahead with this).

So, will I be at a disadvantage using a non-AFS lens for shooting my kids' sporting events????

I'd expect to be fine with the Nikon, but just had to ask to get some insight of people who use these lenses.

Thanks again for your help & sorry for the rambling post.

Take care,
Brent

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow