the S5 IS and the FZ50 interested me.

I currently have an old FZ20 and am now looking to replace it with
something more upto date.

I have been reading reviews and pricing up both the S5 and the FZ50,
but have yet to actually go to a shop and see them in the flesh, so
to speak.

If you have tried them both, how do they compare? I know it's
subjective but would value your thoughts

I guess a lot is what you are expecting your camera to do. I can say this in this forum and feel pretty free about saying this but each camera has its strenghts and weaknesses. Let me ask you a couplle questions and maybe you can get a better feeling for what you want. First let me start by prefacing that I do not have the FZ30 which I understand is a pretty good camera but all my comments are related to the S5IS and the FZ50.

1. How much do you shoot RAW. I have found that the RAW Images on the FZ50 are exceptional but it does take a little work with PP. Colors out of the camera are a little flat and dull but add a little work with PS and you can make beautiful prints.

2. The Canon S5IS is a very good camera with excellent images right out of the camera but Canons Color vibrance is very high. Nice if you don't want to PP a lot of images.

3. I like the FZ50 internal lens and focus mechanisms. Makes me feel liek the lens won't snap off in the event of an accidental drop.

Neither camera is going to disppoint you in my mind, it is just what you want to do with them. I bought both with the understanding that one was going to be returned but I don't think that is going to happpen. I have put up a couple comparisons on the Panny forum and would really recommend you take a look at them before making any deciionsl Hope it helps--
Robb
http://fmphoto.smugmug.com/

Why is it that the best picture you could ever take is always the image right before you press the shutter release?!?!?!
NAPP Member
H Series Duck Club Member
WSSA Member #76

FMPhoto's gear list:FMPhoto's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony a7R IV Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow