Discussion on E-P1 specs [pdf]

Started Jun 28, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Zoltan2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,991
Discussion on E-P1 specs [pdf]

This thread, which is about a supposedly authentic PowerPoint converted PDF file on the specifications of the Olympus E-P1 - or E-1 successor - has reached its limit of 150 posts: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=23797685

I wanted to add my thoughts but the only way to do that now is by starting this new thread.

So: I have been contemplating if this is for real, or a fake. The presentation quality - formatting et cetera - is not top notch, but it is quite normal for internal presentations in big corporations. The language is a mixture of what you would use with your consumers and what you normally use when talking to top management. A good example for the latter is "benefit from top down effect and boost accessory sales". This is perfectly meaningful to a marketer but is not something you would write down in any consumer-oriented material. So that makes this document look more like an authentic internal business presentation.

Therefore - although I could go on endlessly trying to find cues as to whether it is for real or a fake -, I will accept it as an authentic document and treat it that way.

The overall picture is positive. 11 AF sensors, and all of them a cross type - very good! Let us hope the layout is sensible, ie most of them are arranged in accordance with the rule of thirds or the golden section. They are still using the old mock-up shots - if they have not changed anything on the outside, then there is no joystick for a quick selection of the active AF point - that is not good. Holding down the [...] button and turning a dial does not seem like the ideal way to pick the AF sensor you want to use. Minimum light level for AF operation- not sure if that is 2EV or -2EV but if it is the latter, very good! The problem with the K10D is that while it has enough cross type AF sensors, the lowest operating light level is just too high. "World's quickest precise AF performance" that is a bold statement, let us sincerely hope it is true.

Viewfinder coverage is 100%, that was to be expected. Magnification is 1.15x - I am assuming this is to be understood with a 50mm lens focused at infinity. I had hoped for 1.4x, and 1.2x at the absolute minimum, so while I find this to be an important step in the right direction, I am still disappointed a bit. Manually focusing a 25mm lens is still going to be a challenge then (for me anyway). And there is no word of a magnifying eyecup as an optional accessory. Oh well, there is still liveview with detail magnification, I would guess.

5fps - not needed by me, but welcome anyway. From the market's point of view, it's hardly ground-breaking but on a par with the D200, though not necessarily the upcoming D300. Buffer depth unknown?

x-sync raised to 1/250 second - very much welcome, though I had hoped for 1/500, because I like to use some old autothyristor flashes that do not do FP. Guess you cannot have everything. Not a showstopper for me at all.

1/8000 second maximum shutter speed - a welcome improvement, and another point of parity with the competition.

Shadow Adjustment Technology - I think this is akin to Hewlett-Packard's Digital Flash, Sigma's Fill Light, Sony's DRO and Nikon's D-lighting technology. Someone has posted a link to some Olympus P&S camera that already has this. May save me from having to post-process JPEGs intentionally exposed for the highlights.

Wireless flash control - very much welcome. Do you find any issues with the infrared control approach? Would radio waves have been better? At any rate, as I have said I like to use old autothyristor flashes too, so this may or may not be an important improvement for me personally. But welcome for TTL flash users.

Image Stabilisation for up to five stops? Too good to be true I guess. But if true, it is fantastic!

Finally, what does everybody make of this "final decision r&d - end June 2007" comment?
--
pbase Supporter

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJL
LM1
LM1
LM1
thw
P S
P S
P S
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow