photoshop ram allocation

Started Jun 6, 2007 | Discussions thread
GaySatyr Senior Member • Posts: 1,936
Re: 3GB switch ... IMPORTANT !!!

There are a number of situations where setting the 3GB switch can get you into serious trouble, even to the extent of having to re-install your operating system and all its applications from scratch. Admittedly, this doesn't happen often; but, why take any chances?
If you want to set the
3GB switch, do it THIS way:

As, Steve Bingham says . . .
-- Click on "Start"
-- Click on "Run"
-- Type "MSCONFIG" into the text box, and
-- Click on "OK"
-- Click on the "BOOT.INI" tab

You will find something that looks nearly like this . . .

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" fastdetect NoExecute=OptOut
NOTE: The line following [operating systems] is all on one line.

INSTEAD of simply adding the " 3GB" switch to the 'MS Win XP Pro' line, create a NEW line that is identical directly below it, adding " 3GB" as the FIRST switch (if there are any others set on your system). Your BOOT.INI file should look like this . . .
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" fastdetect NoExecute=OptOut

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Pro - 3GB" 3GB fastdetect NoExecute=OptOut

BTW: " fastdetect" prevents XP from bothering to look for a serial mouse and " NoExecute=OptOut" sets XP to prevent certain types of viruses and malware.

Having BOTH system execution lines in the BOOT.INI file sets you up for dual boot operation with standard non- 3GB operation as the default (it's first on the list. This way, should something go wrong, you can always just pull the plug, wait a few moments, plug it back in, and start fresh. The alternative is that if XP is set to boot automatically in " 3GB" mode and fails miserably because of memory address duplication or serious driver problems, you are stuck with a dead system. (Yes, the drive can be removed, taken to another system, added as a non-bootable drive, the boot.ini file found and edited manually, probably undoing the damage; but there are no guarantees.)
-- So, save your edit and close the utility.
-- Shut down and re-boot XP

You will be given a choice of which version of XP you want to use (with the non- 3GB version being the default if you do nothing in 30 seconds). Choose the " 3GB" version and see what happens. If, after you've tried it out for a few days, all is still going well, you can re-edit the BOOT.INI file, making the " 3GB" option the default (first in the list) and changing the timeout delay to 8 or 10 seconds. This means that, if you do nothing, XP will boot normally in " 3GB" mode.

I do NOT recommend removing the dual boot option when using the " 3GB" switch because, twice in the three years I have been using it, I've had an automatic update alter a hardware driver resulting in XP 3GB crashing and I've had to boot in non- 3GB mode in order to fix the problem. Had I not kept the dual-boot option in place, I would have had to remove the drive & operate or re-install the OS from scratch.
Hope this helps,
~ Ed

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
f64
f64
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow