Own D40, Sell D50 For Glass?

Started Jun 11, 2007 | Discussions thread
G Rash Senior Member • Posts: 2,645
Re: I understand

Dan wrote:

trust me I do, but you must realize Nikon is phasing out internal
focusing motors, save maybe the next generation or two of pro
bodies just to maintain backwards computability for those who
already invested in older 35mm glass years ago.

Are you really all that familiar with Nikon's lens lineup? I think there are currently 26 new AF lenses listed and sold by Nikon that are not AF-S. Those include:

35mm f/2
85mm f/1.8 & f/1.4
50mm f/1.8 & f/1.4
60mm micro
180 f/2.8
80-200 f/2.8
80-400 VR.

Many of these are very popular among the hobby photographers as well as pros. I own half of those lenses and would be royally ticked off if Nikon "phased out" focus drives in the camera bodies for anything but the very low end. I'll be shocked if a D200s or D300 comes out that will AF only with AF-S lenses. Not to mention that fact that none of the Tamron or Tokina lenses would be compatible either. Nikon is notoriously slow in lens development. Do you really think that Nikon would abandon the D70 shooter that has just purchased a new 80-400 VR for around $1,400?

As for the OP, the size difference is not so great between your D50 and D40. You may well be carrying the D40 more because it is new. I'd give it some time before I decided to chuck the D50. If you ever need an f/2.8 or faster lens for low light situations, the D50 will more than pay for itself by allowing you to use a 35-70 rather than a 28-70.

-- hide signature --

Good shooting,

Gene
North Carolina

G Rash's gear list:G Rash's gear list
Nikon D610 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Sony a7R III +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow