Mark III - AI Servo at the dog park

Started Jun 11, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
brianz Senior Member • Posts: 2,527
Mark III - AI Servo at the dog park

Went to the Piedmont Park (Atlanta) dog park area this weekend with the new Mark III. This is an upgrade from the 30D, so here are my observations... first, the keeper rate was way higher. The percentage of shots that were not only acceptable, but every bit as tack sharp as One Shot mode on a still subject, was far higher. So I'm excited about that. The downside is that the AF is so accurate that it's almost punishing when you miss the subject's face. The only shots that missed were those where my manually selected AF point was not on the face, or, less often, when the dog was simply exceeding the tolerance of AI Servo, e.g., running full-speed at me at close range.

All shots taken in RAW mode with 200mm f/2.8L, handheld, at low ISO settings, mostly ISO 200. Most shots in Av at f/4. Lighting was lousy - this was more for AI Servo practice than anything usable. Plus, wood chips can make for really awful bokeh, even at f/4. Still got a few keepers - any comments appreciated. This was also my first session with CS3/ACR4.1.

-- hide signature --
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow