anyone know about TC / AF-S compatibility issues?

Started Jun 9, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kim Letkeman
Kim Letkeman Forum Pro • Posts: 33,435
anyone know about TC / AF-S compatibility issues?

I have a 300 F4 AF-S ... I recently got a TC17e for it and the combination on my D70s behaves strangely. The LCDs flash, meter goes haywire, and it won't auto focus.

I isolated it to the lense this way:

Tested the lense and body with a known good TC14e.
Tested the lense and TC on a store demo D200 body.

Ergo, the lense is the common element. That lense with any TC does not work on any body.

I took it into a local camera store that has a good reputation for repairs. They took it onto their bench and returned the verdict that the lense and body are fine. The TC is likely at fault. I repeated my story that it failed with a known good unit (known to work on a 70-200VR anyway) and he smiled and said he'd seen multiple TC failures of this type.

So ... what to do? Send the whole kit to Nikon? Or send back the TC and try TCs around the city until I find one that works with my lense? If I never find one, I'll be forced to send the lense to Nikon anyway.

Note: The lense really does work great on the D70s without the TC.

Comments?

-- hide signature --
 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D600 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +17 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow