Started Jun 2, 2007 | Discussions thread
OP egrc Junior Member • Posts: 32
Re: Here we go again.

Tom Christiansen wrote:

egrc wrote:

But if the sensors doesn't differ, you could get about the same raw
from D80 as from D200.

Again with the false premises, eh?

The D80 has 2-channel read-out; the D200 has 4-channel read-out.

Yes, I know, I have said this in a lot of my other posts.

As far as I know, nobody has ever said that the D200 sensor produces better raw than the D80 sensor (on the contrary, if anything the 4 channel readout of D200 produces lower quality raw). Not even Nikon. Nikon was however fast to tell everyone about the difference between the D200 sensor and the Sony A100 sensor when A100 was released, and, as far as I remember, the only thing they said was just the 4 channel read out.

Which, by the way, is the reason for another advantage of D80 in image quality - the lack of banding.

Are you of a different opinion?

As far as I know there is now reason to believe the raw, per se, from D200 to be of better quality than the raw from D80. If anything they should be of lower quality.

And why are you obsessed?

I think I have said this a couple of thousand times now, because if the jpegs are better from D80 and this is because of the jpeg engine, there must be some reason for Nikon not to port it to D200. If it is only due to software it would be easy for Nikon to port it in a firmware update. They are not doing this. Why? Is there hardware differences that makes this impossible? Are there other things that makes this impossible? What, if any, are those reasons? Is it, for example, the higher speed of D200 continous mode?

erik

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow