Why is D200 that much noiser than D80?

Started Jun 2, 2007 | Discussions thread
David Grabowski Veteran Member • Posts: 7,291
Re: Great First post ...

egrc wrote:

That would certainly be good, but in the pictures I've seen it
looks like D200 is noisier than D80. I'm not talkning about raw
here, but jpegs.

There is the key to your problem. As I said it's possible the D80 is a better jpeg camera ( at least out of the box) and as others have said it is more consumer oriented vs pro or semi pro. It still may very well be cleaner shooting like the D50 is a clean shooter. A D50 or D80 is still not a D200 though.

To me it seems that at the same level of noise D80
retains more detail than D200. D80 thus seems to have a better
noise reduction algorithm than D200.

It might have, but it also clips the highlights more. If you dig back in the archives I think you will find backup info to this statement. Still, I would put the D80 as more user friendly out of the box if shooting jpegs. With the D200 you need to know more about post processing and it will revel in RAW.

Maybe I'm wrong but it would be nice to se some pictures that
proves it.

You should be able to find pictures all over dpreview on these two cameras between this forum and the D70/D80 forum or whatever they call it ( the next forum up the drop down list)..

FWIW, todays cameras are all able to take pisser images, it's a matter of what preferences you have. If you want out of the box jpeg performance in a Nikon Mount look at the D80 or D40X. With the D200 you will have to learn to set it up right away and shooting RAW is always a plus. If you want really clean ISO 1600 shots out of the box buy a Canon 5D !!

David

erik

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow