More D40 obsessing...

Started May 17, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jesse Leary Junior Member • Posts: 47
More D40 obsessing...

Sorry to start another of these, but for some reason I find the D40 discussions fascinating.

Based on the marketing - "ANYONE can take amazing digital pictures with a Nikon D40 in their hand" - and the feature set, Nikon has clearly positioned the D40 in a different part of market than the D80 (and up).

The camera gets derided by some folks in the forums (fora?) as a camera for "soccer moms," and I wonder if Nikon is perfectly happy with that result. There's got to be a big chunk of folks who take their photography a little seriously, but see that they'll get almost everything they want with the D40. (I'm assuming there are a lot of those folks b/c of all the messages in the forums, and because that's how I view myself.) Does Nikon want us to see the D40 as a bit inadequate, and therefore buy the more expensive models?

I wonder how many of the feature choices in the D40 are real cost/size/weight compromises, and how many of them are actually meant to limit the appeal of the D40 to more serious amateurs. The lack of an AF motor saves money and size, as does no LCD screen on top of the camera, fewer dedicated buttons, etc. All of these things look like sensible trade-offs, given the primary market for the camera.

But, what about no exposure bracketing? Isn't that just firmware? Why not put it in the camera? Are there other examples of limitations that don't appear to actually save any money? Am I just reading to much into this?

(My big complaint is no AF S prime, but I'm hopeful that will get fixed soon.)

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow