Step-up ring for stacking freeks

Started May 17, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
luisflorit
luisflorit Veteran Member • Posts: 8,381
Step-up ring for stacking freeks

There is a couple original and brilliant ideas in this post.

The only problem is that the original ideas are not brilliant, and the brilliant ideas are not original... Well, anyway.

1) We all know by now that the Raynox 150 and 250 can be stacked to get extreme macros. The clip fits too tight, though...

Since I was afraid of breaking the clip, I thought on buying a step-up ring. Then, I thought that to stack a Raynox and a TCON, a 49-55 step up ring would be just perfect: you could stack both Raynox without forcing the clip or a Raynox and a TCON. I didn't know how good the idea was, but since I found a used 49-55 step-up ring for $3 at B&H, I gave it a try.

My ring arrived, and it works GREAT. I imagined that it would work fine for the two Raynox, but to my surprise the TCON and the Raynox stacked with the ring feel really solid!

2) The box for the Raynox is huge. Not practical! In addition, when you store the lens, the bottom cap does not fit if the lens is in the clip. So, you have to unscrew the lens from the clip, that is opposite to the spirit of the clip. Not practical!! Moreover, the front cap fits too tight and it's difficult to remove when on the clip. Not practical!!!

Now, I store both Raynox attached to their clips in the box of one of them, together with the ring and a couple of thin foam sheets. I made a back cover for the clip to protect the lens. And, as suggested by another fella here, I cut a strip from the front cap.

So, this is how they all look now:

Appears more practical to you?

HTH,
L.

PS: Forgot to diffuse the flash, sorry...

-- hide signature --

My gallery: http://w3.impa.br/~luis/fotos

FZee50 + Oly EfEl50 + TeeCon17 + Raynx 150 & 250
Nikn CeePee4500; Cann SDee500

luisflorit's gear list:luisflorit's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Venus Laowa 7.5mm F2 MFT Olympus E-M1 +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow