2100 foldout screen (sorta)

Started Mar 7, 2002 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tom K.
Tom K. Senior Member • Posts: 1,726
2100 foldout screen (sorta)

With a compact mirror from Wal-Mart and some glue and hardware, I made an addition to my 2100 that'll keep my belly out of the dirt on those low shots. I also made a flash diffuser out of a milk jug and added a "stop" to prevent the on/off switch from going to "reset," which is way too easy to do unintentionally. (Actually that was the very first thing I did when I got it back in October 2000 - it's a bent piece of blister-packaging stuck on with Scotch double-sided tape so it will come off if necessary.)

The compact had two mirrors in it, a flat one and a magnifying one. I popped out the magnifying mirror and glued a thick washer in its place. I really wanted a steel plate that filled the cavity entirely but I decided it really didn't matter.

Then I positioned the mirror on my camera and marked the location of the little "foot" at the corner opposite the battery door, then made a little drill start there to index the mirror. Then I located the tripod mount hole and drilled that all the way through. That let me screw the mirror onto the camera but took away the tripod mount hole, so I drilled another hole (on the lens centerline - reduces parallax error when shooting panoramas with a tripod) and tapped that hole with standard 1/4 x 20 threads. (There's a third hole close to the mirror - that was a screwup.)

Now I have a little fold-down mirror that lets me view the LCD screen from above or when I hold it over my head, and it protects the LCD when it's folded up. The image of the LCD screen is upside-down but hell, the snotty high end photographers that use view cameras say that an upside-down image makes you concentrate on framing and composition. Whatever.

When the mirror is folded up it obstructs the lower right-hand corner of the viewfinder just a little, but when your eye is up there you just look right past it and don't see it at all. Might be a problem with glasses. A smaller mirror would solve the problem but this one was light and slick looking, so I'm keepin' it.

By the way, the pics were taken with my Canon S100 which I've had since July 2000 - another fabulous camera.

Tom K.

Tom K.'s gear list:Tom K.'s gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic ZS200
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow