Travel Gitzo for D200

Started May 14, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MShields Regular Member • Posts: 131
Travel Gitzo for D200

Have been doing my research and am looking for feedback to help to finalize my decision. I have missed too many shots because of leaving the tripod behind when traveling or hiking. I have a heavy tripod for car and studio, so I don't need to get something to grow into... just one that is lightweight and compact enough (but of course also capable of getting the job done) that I will get it into my 24" long travel bag and that I will actually carry around with me or can strap to a day pack.

I will use it with a D200 and either 17-55 2.8 or 105 micro.

Here is what I've decided:

• an Acratech Ultimate ballhead

One of these Gitzo legs:

• G-1157 3 sections, 24 inches folded, $360

• G-1158 4 sections, 19 inches folded, $450

Both of above support 9.9lb load

• GT-1540 4 sections, 21 in folded, $534

Supports 17.6lbs
-GT-1540T 4 sections, 16 inches folded, $560
Supports 9.9lbs

Anyone have any experience with any of the above?

How important are the differences in load support? Will a CF tripod that "supports 17.6lbs" allow me to get sharper images than one of comparable size and weight that, according to Gitzo, supports 9.9lbs??

I am willing to mortgage the house for one of these if people can convince me that they can actually consistently yield sharp photos (with careful use).

Thanks,
Martin

MShields's gear list:MShields's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow