Ricoh scores hattrick with GX 100

Started May 8, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kitses New Member • Posts: 8
Ricoh scores hattrick with GX 100

The answer to the question "Buy GX 100?" is a resounding YES!

Anyone remotely considering this camera and who wants the most versatile, capable compact carry everywhere camera, has only one choice, the GX 100. Ricoh G series cameras are from a "different planet" vs. other compact cameras, period.

What grounds do I have in stating this? Lots: I 've got one first of all, had it since May 1. Second, I had the pleasure of using a GX8 for almost two years. Panasonic LX2, Canon G3 and Nikon D80, are also among the arsenal. Tried the Fuji E900, Pana FZ5, Canon G7, nice but not quite there. The GX8 was a revelation in comparison to all those run of the mill auto everything point and shoot compacts out there, in design, funtionality, picture quality, fast wide angle lens, hot shoe, hyperfocal setting, 1 cm macro, voice and text recording and so on. I still have the Canon G3 and not going to sell it (one of the finest small sensor cameras, with possibly the best quality lens (f 2.0!) on a compact digital, but slow and twice the size and weight of the GX100, great for indoor pictures). I also have the only other full featured (ie. manual) compact that could even come close to the GX 100, and that is the Panasonic LX2. The LX2 is a great little camera, is 20 g lighter than GX 100 (225 vs 245g with battery) with fantastic output at low iso (100-200), but from there the genius of Venus starts to blur the detail (this is not as bad as reviews may suggest cause youre not going to be printing huge prints (> 8.5x11") from these cameras at those isos anyway, so one should always take reviews with a grain of salt), however, it is a little thicker than the GX 100 (47 vs 40 mm at lens, and this does make an important difference in packability). The LX2's strength is the the ability to use 16:9 wide format sensor, (with this sensor 28 mm is just a little wider than the GX8's 3:2 28 mm lens), ability to zone focus in manual focus mode, black and white shooting, RAW is fast (but huge files) excellent movie clips, beautiful metal body camera with a very nice LCD screen.

The GX 100 is an incredible pocket camera!
Thannnnk Youuu Ricoh!!!

Anyone hesitating because of "pixel peeping reasons", color rendition etc. is suffering paralysis by analysis. This camera delivers what G series users want and then some, and will not dissapoint (I don't work for Ricoh, but I'd love to be on their design team:). It is a huge improvement over the GX8, which was unique as it is, but Ricoh went back to the drawing board and took the design frame of the GRD and packed it with the versatility of the GX series. They not just upped the pixels and introduced a "new engine" but produced an entirely new lens, a 24 mm one at that with the same f2.5 speed, something no other compact has, add RAW, Black and White, and a hot shoe, and you've got the king of the compacts, everything else which it offers is gravy. The things that I thought could be improved on the GX8 were essentially all addressed on the GX100, a bigger and better LCD, wider lens, RAW mode, Black and White mode + sepia, the menu system is vastly improved, the button layout and control of ISO, WB, Focus mode all quickly accessible through a single push of the function button or the track wheel (it can be pushed as well as jogged), pop up flash, thinner body, wider wide lens, and so on. The only thing that was dropped from the GX8 and should not have been is the voice record abiltiy, text mode, and also a larger battery, but the smaller battery may give similar results and save weight. Do not concern yourself with color, Ricoh's white balance in the GX 8 was best in "Cloudy" mode, I used it for every kind of shooting short of incandescent light. The GX 100s white balance is improved a lot, Auto seems to be excellent, and cloudy is still going to be used alot in sunny weather, just a little warmer in tone, but you can adjust color in many ways. The hot shoe is indispensible, I (almost) only shoot with an external flash indoors with the camera, this way you can shoot iso 80-100 and have perfect bounced light, flash either on camera, using a flash cord or using a slave(d) flash triggered from the on board flash (just stick a piece of masking tape or white paper on the flash to mute it). So for home indoor use, high ISO noise (which is the best kind of grain noise in Ricohs) is not an issue, just use a flash, if travelling get a small flash such as the Nikon SB 30, works great, weighs only 90 grams. The results are stunning, there is no problem with color, sharpness, grain etc.

As I said, don't get stuck in the over-analysis mill, just get a good camera, and this one is the best available as of this writing, and get out there and shoot alot of pictures. Luckily the GX 100 is perfectly shirt pocketable so you can have it with you all the time.

I believe the GX 100 is destined to be a classic that people will hold onto.

Now it is time for the GRD to enter, in similar fashion, a new realm, and I have a feeling that Ricoh designers are working on it, don't forget the large sensor boys :), thanks in advance.

over and out.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow