Cleaned my H-9 Lens...

Started May 6, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
T. L. Rutter Senior Member • Posts: 2,461
Cleaned my H-9 Lens...

AND what a difference it made. I was not having much luck with getting some good pictures, and the problem seemed to be getting worse and worse!!!

I bought a micro-fiber clothe designed for cleaning camera lenses and was able to take some great pictures. The focus was perfect and the shots were clear.

There is still some slight artifacts that's present in dark areas and in the hair, but mainly when I set the camera to sharpening and only when I go beyond looking at the pictures at 100%.

I also bought a monopod and was able to take ISO 1600 shots that I was very pleased with. ISO200 to 800 were awesome. Below ISO200 without a flash and I ended up getting blurry pictures, even with the monopod.

I guess what I am trying to relay to everyone, is that if you are having problems with your H-9, try cleaning it (no water, chemicals) with a micro-fiber cloth. There may be some sort of film or residue on the lens that we can't see that may be affecting picture quality. Again, this does not solve the problem with NR or jpg artifacts, but it does minimizes to the point to where it's not nearly as bad.

I do think one major flaw with this camera is that there's no "weight" to it and it requires a new way of holding it to get better pictures. It's the same syndrome that ultra-compacts have. People on this forum have already mentioned that sometimes a bulkier camera without IS may give you better image quality than a light-weight with IS.

Other than that, I love the H-9. It's a bear to learn, and a lot of pictures that I've taken, were ones that a lot of other people would look at and not even think about the quality, but rather, what's "in" the camera.

Let's all continue to work together to share and come up with suggestions on how we can master this camera and hopefully Sony will provides us with a firmware update to fix what we have, so we won't be salivating for when the H11 comes out. Remember, the H-9 was designed to resolve previous H Series issues and to incorporate new technologies that's in some of the other Sony models.

Thanks,
Toby

T. L. Rutter's gear list:T. L. Rutter's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a6500 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow