70-200 2.8 IS dissapointment

Started May 2, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
cmdh Forum Member • Posts: 76
70-200 2.8 IS dissapointment

After much debate (and saving my pennies) I purchased the all hailed 70-200 2.8 IS. On inital tests I am really disappointed!

I took over 50 test shots of several outdoor/indoor settings. This ranged from flowers, brick, and my lovely dog. I used f2.8/100ISO, f2.8/400ISO, f5.6/100ISO, and f5.6/400ISO. I took three shots at each setting using focal lengths of 70m, 100m, & 200m.

On review the f5.6 setting was consistantly sharper than the f2.8. What gives? I am assuming my copy is not 'soft' as I get sharp images from f5.6. A 'soft' copy would give soft images at all stops, correct?

I purchased this lens mostly for sports so I will have to try it out on moving subjects to see if the results are the same. I won't get the needed shutter speed at f5.6, but the lens is not great at f2.8.

If all images are better at a lower fstop than I'd be better off with the less expensive f4 version, correct? If it is a matter of using f5.6 on stills and getting great action shots at f2.8 I can certainly make adjustments, however I am afraid given initial results I won't be getting the sharpness with 2.8 on a moving subject either...

Any insight anyone may offer is greatly appreciated. I'll need to act fast if I am going to return the lens...

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Zey
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow