Auditioning with the 85/1.4

Started Apr 15, 2007 | Discussions thread
lecastor Contributing Member • Posts: 501
Hey Uncle Frank! my very humble opinion...

I must confess: unfortunately for me i really liked the pictures you first posted.

I wrote "unfortunately for me" because i feel that according to all I read on this thread, my appreciation of your pictures is likely to make me a beginner, a guy with no knowledge nor understanding of what a good picture is...

But it think it's all BS. I think if I didn't noticed the blurred eyes, it's because it's not what I was looking for. So what was I seeing? I just saw two people who looked good. Two happy good looking folks. Blurred or not, it's certainly not as important as some here truly seems to beleive in order to get a job, or even to make the customer happy.

Quality is indeed really important, and if some of the comments were worth being read one shall never forget that what WE gearheads see in a photograph might not be what the subject sees in his/her own portrait. If you show someone an image on which he/she looks good and confortable, 99.9% of the times he/she will be happy and grateful. Not only would you get the job but they would even refer you to other people.

From my own humble experience people most simply want to be shown a flattering image of themselves, an image on which they don't look uncomfortable and in this regard i think all of your posted pictures did this really well. In the end, i think the ability to make people look good/confortable in front of your camera, your "social technique" is far more important than the rest. Some of those who never miss the focus-on-the-eyes would never be able to make my mother-in-law look happy in front of their perfectly-well-focussed lens.

All this being said, the eyes were out-of-focus, as you know

best regards,

Phil G

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
jlf
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow