Sigma EF500 Super Flash Mystery - S o l v e d !

Started Mar 1, 2002 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Yatin Chachad Regular Member • Posts: 382
Sigma EF500 Super Flash Mystery - S o l v e d !

Dear Fellow Sigma EF500 Flash owners, and All Photography enthusiasts,

I have finally solved the problem that had been bugging me since I purchased the Sigma EF500 Flash, albeit, with a small catch. How do you get the Sigma to use the red AF assist light, without the flash firing at all. The Canon EX550 can do it, as stated in many posts. I posted the question several times, but nobody could answer it. Not even the Tech support guys at SIGMA. All I had was the motivation from Dr. Don Cohen in the past few days, and an unquenching urge to fix the problem.

Here is the answer - simple....

Mount the Flash onto the camera. Turn camera and Flash on. Keep pressing the [Mode] Button until you get to the manual ISO setting. Wait. Here is the catch. The mode on the camera has to be set to FULL MANUAL ONLY for it to work. Half press the shutter button, and hey presto, the red light comes on. Instant focus!!! Meter manually, and fire away. No flash will come on. Enjoy Photo. It does not work well in other modes, because the camera messes up the shutter speed or the aperture in all other modes. Comments welcome.
Sincerely,--Sincerely,
Y. Chachad
http://www.pbase.com/chachads

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow