Auditioning with the 85/1.4

Started Apr 15, 2007 | Discussions thread
brick33308
brick33308 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,324
Re: brick - - - -

I just want to clarify what my intent was. Although I did cool down the overall tone, I was simply practicing what I've learned (and admittedly am still learning) about "glamour" retouching - got rid of the blotchy skin color (he had what looks like a birth mark on the right side of his cheek), made his eyes pop a bit and whitened his teeth.

But, I want to make absolutely clear that I wasn't implying that Uncle Franks's shooting technique needs fixing in any way. This kind of retouching is something that even the world's best portrait photographers do to "improve" on nature (and they do it better and with greater finesse than I do!). On the contrary, I think Uncle Frank is an excellent photographer, has great equipment and knows very well how to use it. I don't think this particular series that he posted is his best work, but it's surely a cut above the average. And I've enjoyed viewing his frequent posts which have given me ideas how to improve my own work. In fact, it was because of Uncle Frank that I bought the 85/1.4 which has turned out to be my favorite lens!

Had I read the entire thread, I would have seen and honored Uncle Franks's request that his photos not be retouched. That's certainly his prerogative, and frankly what I've taken away from this is that it's presumptuous of me to modify anyone's images unless that's what they want (such as by posting them on the retouching forum). Uncle Frank, I regret if I offended you in any way.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
jlf
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow