on getting sharp pictures from the G2. Though a lot
of the tips could apply to any digital camera. The list
is for beginner's like myself so I only went as far
as using P mode and didn't bother going farther than
using Breeze Browser. I apologize to anyone who should
get credit but didn't.

Please feel free to correct or add to the list since
I'm just regurgitating all this. I'll re-post after a
lot of corrections and additions have been made.

TIP 01.
-------------------------------------
Learn to use Autofocus (AF) and how it works.

If you don't know how to use AF read this:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/autofocus6.htm

If you don't know how AF works in the G2 read this:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/autofocus3.htm

TIP 02.

The G2s autofocus uses contrasting vertical (up and down) lines to focus, this means ...

Don't use a person's face to focus! Instead lock focus on their clothing then re-compose and take the shot.

Reason:

Most of a person's face is made of horizontal lines - the eyes, eyebrows, mouth, the bottom of the nose etc. In addition,

most people's faces don't have a lot of contrasting colors because their skin tends to be the same color all the way across

their face. Putting somebodies face in the shade might help this situation.

TIP 03.

The G2s autofocus uses contrasting vertical (up and down) lines to focus, this means ...

You might have a better chance of getting focus lock on a person's face if you turn them sideways or shine a light on them,

creating contrasting vertical lines.

TIP 04.

If you're having trouble getting a focus lock, try rotating the camera 45-90 degrees, lock focus, rotate back and take the

shot.

Reason:

This might work with a person's face because when you turn the G2 90 degrees the eyes, eyebrows, mouth and bottom of the nose

become contrasting vertical lines to the camera. Also can work when you're trying to take a picture of something on the

horizon. When turned 90 degrees the horizon becomes a contrasting vertical line.

TIP 05.

For Landscape photos - Don't focus on the horizon. Lock your focus 1/3 of the way into the final photo, then re-compose and

take the shot. If you're using manual focus set the focus for approx. 40 feet.

Reason:

When you lock focus on a subject 1/3 of the in-focus area is in front of the object and 2/3 of the in-focus area will be

behind the subject.

Explanation:
Hyperfocal distance: http://www.nyip.com/tips/tip_hyperfocl898.html

TIP 06.

Once you've locked focus ... don't take your finger of the shutter button, it unlocks your focus.

TIP 07.
Once you've locked focus ... don't use the zoom, it unlocks your focus.

TIP 08.
If possible, use a tripod

TIP 09.
If you use a tripod, use the remote - so you don't shake the camera

TIP 10.

Use the flash when the background is very bright and your subject is dark or to help fill-in shadows from a bright light.

Generally using the flash helps create a sharper photo.

TIP 11.
Use P mode with the light meter/automatic exposure

In P mode, you can have the G2 take a light meter reading and automatically give a set of shutter/aperture values (exposure)

that are appropriate for your particular photo. This helps you get sharper photos because you can select a smaller aperture

so that more objects in the photo are in focus, or you can select a faster shutter speed so that moving objects in your photo

don't blur.

Step 1: Put the G2 in P mode

Step 2: Press the * button, wait for the G2 to take a meter reading and automatically set exposure values (shutter/aperture)

Step 3. Use the right/left arrows on the omni controller to select a good aperture OR shutter value

Notes:
Together the shutter/aperture values are referred to as your exposure
Anyone know a good "what is ..." page for exposure/depth of field?

TIP 12.
Try to use apertures between f4.0 and f5.6

Reason:

Uhh, actually does anyone know why this is true for the G2? I picked it up here in the forums, but I never found out why it's

a good idea. Though I've noticed I'm more likely to get a focus lock using those apertures.

TIP 13.

If you want the least amount of hassle and just want the sharpest pictures you can get right out of the G2 - set the picture

format to jpeg and set the Contrast, Saturation, and Sharpness in your G2s menu to +1. That's it, all you need to do now is

download the pictures so you can distribute or print them out.

TIP 14.

If you want a little more control over your photos, set the picture format to RAW and set the Contrast, Saturation, and

Sharpness in your G2s menu to -1. You can set the Contrast, Saturation, Sharpness and White Balance when you convert the RAW

images to jpeg or tiffs in Breeze Browser.

TIP 15.

If you want the most control over your photos, set the picture format to RAW and set the Contrast, Saturation, and Sharpness

in your G2s menu to -1. You can then convert the RAW photos and edit them in your favorite imaging program.

-- hide signature --

I hope to outgrow my G2 sooner rather than later or at the very least grow into it.
http://www.pbase.com/mwisniewski

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SSK
gkl
gkl
Dan
Dan
NNS
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow