Weekend with 55-200VR - warning - many images

Started Apr 8, 2007 | Discussions thread
Shashi Mehta Regular Member • Posts: 168
gmosc

Indeed. I am looking for a 2nd body to add to my D40. I went to a local Ritz camera store and they had the 55-200VR in stock. I played with it for some time on D40, D40x and D80.

My candid opinion:

It is a steal for the price Nikon is charging for it. The IQ is surprisingly quite good. The focus is slow throughout the range, but that is relative i.e. I compare to other lenses I have or played with. I used it taking shots of many objects in the store, thru the glass of the store, of some salespeople etc... As for using it in sports i.e. moving objects - forget it. Way too slow for that. Even the 70-300VR is'nt quite up to that task though for more capable.

The convinience factor for 18-200Vr is a killer, awesome. It truly is the holy grail of a walk-around single lens. But for anyone having the kit 18-55, and not wanting to ditch that, while looking for a tele, the 55-200 is great - for the price. If you have th $ and have patience, get the 18-200VR for all around, or 70-300VR for a steal of deal on a very very sharp and fairly fast well built piece of glass.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D40
Nikon 18-55 II, Nikon 18-200VR, Nikon 70-300VR, Sigma 10-20 UWA
Nikon SB400 Flash, Nikon SB-600 Flash, B+W/Hoya SMC UV/CP filters
Nikon Capture NX, Photoshop Elements, Bogen Manfrotto Monopod

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow