Latest Kodak 5100 impressions....

Started Apr 10, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 41,400
Latest Kodak 5100 impressions....

So as I have continued using the printer more and more I have learned a couple of interesting things. Hopefully this will help those looking at this printer with interest-

New pros since my initial post:

• Other papers print great.

• Any photo Kodak paper- on the Macintosh (and probably on the PC also)- you don't have to fumble with any "best/worst" settings- it's recognized automatically and uses the best setting for that paper. Just load Kodak paper & print.

• B&W text is pretty good

• Printer is pretty fast. Faster than the Canon Pixma 4300 at printing high quality photos for sure

• Black and White photos are one of the best blacks/greys I have seen (though they can have metamerism- see below). Better than my Canon pixma 4300.

• Cheapest 10 cent per page package of Kodak still gives you high quality prints (IGNORE the PopPhoto review- they are either on drugs, or paid or both).

• While the best prints are in Kodak Ultra Premium paper, the lowest Kodak Photo Paper gives you outstanding quality and is still very close to the Ultra Premium output.

• Scanner works, and is pretty good. May require some color tweaking on the settings to taste

• Unlike some other pigment printers (Epson) the colors in glossy paper are still glossy and nice

Cons

• B&W photos have metamerism under fluorescent light. This is expected from a 4-color - like printing (the 5th ink is an overcoat). I have seen metamerism in my Canon also, but the Kodak has a little more

• When printing borderless on the Mac, depending if you print with Aperture, or the Preview app, it will not be full end to end borderless. Aperture will print like I expect it to, Preview always seems to add a border. If you use Kodak Easy Share, then it prints full coverage 100% but it crops a bit to do so. I just wish this behavior was consistent in all apps. Again, this is on Mac, I am guessing the PC will exhibit a similar behavior.

• duplex paper printing is an option (coming in June) and is MSRP $79.95 USD.

• Using the stand alone photocopying functionality works but it's slower than you may expect. Scanning for it takes 2-3 minutes and then it prints however many copies you set it to.

• Printer doesn't seem to have an auto-on printer capability like my Canon, when you just print a document.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d
Tools/Gui Programmer - vid games industry, photography student

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
mxs
mxs
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow