400D after 20,000 photos, my verdict...

Started Mar 28, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jovo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,200
400D after 20,000 photos, my verdict...

The 400D is, by a long way, the best camera I have ever used. Previous cameras owned include the film Canon F1, Mamiya 2 1/4", Leica R4 as well as a number of Canon digitals. It is reliable (I have never missed a shot), has great IQ and costs very little to run. I only shoot RAW, use partial metering, centre point focus and mainly AI Servo AF on Av.

The combination of the 400D with the 17-40 f/4L, 70-200mm f2.8L and 400mm f/5.6L yields IQ results well above my expectations. My interest includes landscapes, architecture, portraits, figure studies, street people, macros and birds. Most photos are taken hand held. Since buying the 400D in September 06, I have had the chance to try the 30D and 5D, but for me they are overkill.

1. I love the lightweight, small body.
2. The IQ possible using a good quality lens is simply fantastic.

3. After initial concerns, it is now obvious the sensor clean works extremely well.

4. 10 MP gives me the opportunity to crop excessively without losing quality at A4 print size.
5. The large LCD is a godsend when you don't like wearing glasses.
6. A fully charged battery allows me to take over 800 shots.

7. Unlike the 350D, I no longer have a problem with back focus using the 70-200mm.
8. The 400mm lens focuses readily when used with a 1.4x TC.
9. The camera does not underexpose or overexpose, unless I meter incorrectly.

10. High capacity CF (today I got 476 shots on a 4GB card) cards are now cheap and plentiful compared to a couple of years ago.

11. I rarely need to go over ISO400, but know I can get good results if I need to use ISO1600.
12. Continuous shooting in RAW allows me 10 shots before the buffer is full.

13. When occasionally I get a photo OOF, I know it was my technique that caused the problem

Do I love my 400D? You bet I do!

The 350D was a good camera but disappointing when it produced too many OOF shots, suffered back focus, and had a slow buffer.

Those who maintain that it is not worth upgrading to a 400D are missing something!

-- hide signature --

Jovo's gear list:Jovo's gear list
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow