the polar bear climate change photo

Started Mar 24, 2007 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Ryan McDaniel Regular Member • Posts: 449
I don't want to be misconstrued...

Matt Nelson wrote:

Wow - the anti-global-warming voices here are pretty scary.
Complete denial that there may be any merit in the opposing camp's
statements.

I went off on a rant because I was in a bad mood and things like the polar bear photo annoy me. It scares me that a crowd of people can be so ignorant as to be pushed to panic by a photo of bears clinging to ice.

My humble opinion? Man's CO2 output probably has some impact on climate, but that impact is below the threshold of natural variability. We can't detect our own signature, it's background noise.

I'm perfectly open to evidence I'm wrong, and keep up on the latest literature as best as I can. For the record, screaming that ALL scientists agree or showing photos of polar bears does not constitute evidence.

The people who are the most hysterical about climate change are the ones who have never studied Earth's climate history. I have. Nothing unusual happened in the 20th century.

On the one hand, you've got a bunch of scientists saying "Human
activity is causing the planet to warm." On the other hand, you've
got a bunch of scientists saying "Human activity is NOT causing the
planet to warm."

At best, there is some debate about the issue

I would be fine if the "other side" could admit there's a debate, rather than resorting to personal attacks to discredit people they disagree with.

(OK, OK...I know I attacked Gore...but there's just something wrong with him telling me how to live when he is the most wasteful human on Earth.)

The problem is, we've only got one planet to experiment with. If
it's true that humans are changing climate (either warm or cool,
btw), then we are on the road to really screwing up the planet in
ways that we may never be able to reverse.

Study the planet's climate history.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
igb
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow