Coolpix P5000 received + samples (large)

Started Mar 19, 2007 | Discussions thread
w3 Senior Member • Posts: 2,839
A mode Preliminary Observations - Re: ISO-VR Test for w3 and others

Thanks Glen!

GlenGrant wrote:

Okay, here is what I have done.
http://www.zenfolio.com/ggrant/p1006985368/home.aspx

Thanks to Peter for posting the link that doesn't require registration:

http://ggrant.zenfolio.com/p1006985368/?photo=h08ADAFBD#145600445

The subject (a bowl of plastic fruits on my table) low light,
source of all light being a shutter blind camera left, hand held.

Auto ISO selected I "believe" yielded 1 of the ISO 800 shots (I
never did a camera check at the time).

I hope this helps for now and will attempt to get the other tests
done as requested.

This is a test nicely done, thanks again to Glen.

A mode. No Flash. Hand-held shots. Still Subjects. No Zoom. Under a dim or low light situation.

The test shots were all taken with Aperture Priority at f/3.4 (chosen by Glen), except the last picture #6 at f/6.1

So let's look at Picture#1 to Picture#5 now.

Picture#2 and #3 were taken using Auto ISO which picked ISO 800 with SS at 1/3s and 1/4s.

Let's look at Picture #1, #4 and #5 first which were taken using manually selected ISOs.

Picture #1: Manually selected ISO 200. A mode selected SS at 1s. (Wish there were more light for the test so that SS will be at 1/8s or 1/10s at ISO 200, even when we want a low light situation).

Picture #4: Manually selected ISO 100. A mode selected SS at 3s. I thought it should be 2s for the same exposure. The lighting has probably changed a little bit. What is amazing is that Picture#4 at 3s hand-held looks better than Picture#1 at 1s. I don't know what happened there at Picture#1. I saw Glen did much better at 1s from the other test. Picture#4 here is probably more the norm for Glen being able to hold the camera steadily for over 1s with the help of VR (with only a little bit blur -but at 3 seconds hand-held!).

Picture #5: Manually selected ISO 400. A mode selected SS at 1/2s (however, some other programs read the EXIF as 5/8s, but close enough). ISO 200 with 1/2s is expected in order to maintain the same exposure as ISO 200 at 1s.

I think Picture #5 looks the best !

http://ggrant.zenfolio.com/p1006985368/?photo=h077665B1#145600445

About the two Auto ISO Pictures #2 and #3 at ISO 800 with SS at 1/3s and 1/4s. Again, wish the test was done with more light. But this test does confirm the Auto ISO Cap of 800 under A mode also (probably the same for all P A S M modes). The Auto ISO wants to push ISO higher to maintain a faster shutter speed. But it was pushed up against the cap of 800. Since the Auto ISO didn't pick ISO 400 with SS of 1/2s, we know that there is a Minimum Shutter Speed that is faster than 1/2s (probably quite a bit faster) that the Auto ISO wants to maintain. If the test is done again with more light, we can find out what that Min SS is.

And #2 and #3 look a little bit under-exposed. (Is there also an absolute SS limit with Auto ISO?)

Preliminary conclusions:

1. P5000's VR works: For Glen it works consistently when near or faster than 1/2s, and could be as slow as 1s or slower at full wide. For the rest of us, we may be able to do hand-held no flash shots at 1/4s or 1/8s at full wide.

2. ISO 400 usable.

3. A mode Auto ISO Cap at 800. There is a Min SS. Need to do the test with more light to find out what that Min SS is.

Thanks to Glen again.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
w3
w3
w3
w3
(unknown member)
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
(unknown member)
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow