Coolpix P5000 received + samples (large)

Started Mar 19, 2007 | Discussions thread
w3 Senior Member • Posts: 2,839
Re: Glen - S Mode Auto ISO - Re: Coolpix P5000

Hi Glen,

Thank you very much. I don't have time to respond now. Just want to say thank you first.

GlenGrant wrote:

w3 wrote:

In S mode, you would choose and fix the shutter speed (please try
the slow ones like 1/5s, 1/10s, 1/15s, 1/20s, 1/30s, 1/40s, 1/50s
... etc under a low light no flash hand-held situation with still
subjects).

Use no Zoom. No Flash. Hand-held shots. Still Subjects. Auto ISO Under a dim or low light situation .....

Forgot to mention there should be enough light for most (not all) of the test shots to be properly exposed with shutter speed faster than 1/2s or 1/4s all the way up to 1/30s at various ISOs as low as 400 or 200. (Aperture at f/2.7 with no zoom).

Perhaps putting a lamp closer to the subject will do. Sorry for being too picky. But we are getting to that sweet low light range where VR and Auto ISO can be so helpful.

I am amazed at how well you held the camera at speeds as slow as 1/2s or even 1s (Perhaps VR does help too).

(I can't check them closely with my monitor here)

ISO 800 indeed seems to be the cap for the Auto ISO under S mode.

1. 7 and #5 seem properly exposed. Aperture remains at F2.7 (low light - it needs all the light it can get). S Mode Auto ISO pushed to the exact ISO for the proper exposure.

1. 7 Photo taken with NIKON COOLPIX P5000, f/2.7, 1s, ISO 270, No Flash ..

and

1. 5 Photo taken with NIKON COOLPIX P5000, f/2.7, 1/2, ISO 519, No Flash ...

1. 4 may or may not be properly exposed. Could be slightly under-exposed. Aperture remains wide open at F2.7. Shutter Speed is fixed by you with S mode at 1/4s. ISO was pushed to the cap of 800 by Auto ISO already. It couldn't go any higher. (There must have been an indicator when you half-pressed the shutter to tell you it was not going to be properly exposed.)

1. 4 Photo taken with NIKON COOLPIX P5000, f/2.7, 1/4, ISO 800, No Flash ...

The other higher Shutter Speed shots are therefore more under-exposed (also up against ISO 800).

It will be great if you bring more light to the subjects so that we can see more shots properly exposed at 1/8s, 1/15s or 1/20s ... or so.

I have to run now. Sorry, don't have tell to make things clearer.

Just want to say thank you first.

The S-Mode Results:
http://ggrant.zenfolio.com/p693404679/
All hand held, same subject, changed angle a bit a bit more light
in room at time of shooting but not much (reflective from glass
cabinet).

Hope this helps.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
w3
w3
w3
w3
(unknown member)
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
(unknown member)
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow