Coolpix P5000 received + samples (large)

Started Mar 19, 2007 | Discussions thread
Michel Cojan
Michel Cojan Contributing Member • Posts: 706
Re: Image Quality...

Federico_ wrote:

....It seems to be so high...similar to an F30 , or even better, at
high ISO settings..
The "soft look" is a great great bonus...true professional quality.
I've had enough of over sharpened and over saturated images....this
is not quality!
It's a patetic, commercial way to sell new cameras...

Federico, when I am wondering about the P5000’s sharpness, I am referring to the LENS QUALITY ALONE, not the in-camera software applied sharpness (over sharpned or not) and not the in-camera processing, all together. And I was comparing it to Canon G7 and A640 because they both have very nice ’’naturally sharp’’ lenses (and results) and the P5000 is ment to be (to a certain degree) their direct competitor. Judging on what I’ve seen so far though (at low ISO), the P5000 LENS seems to me softer than the other two I mentioned above.

On the other hand, I beleive that having a sharp lens to start with, would’t harm anyone, and if I needed softer results at times, I would rather do the opposite and lower the in-camera sharpness, while i always can go back if sharper images are needed (not to mention that one could ’’soften’’ an image at will in PP). When the lens is itself SOFT, I ’m very much afraid no software (in-camera or computer based) could bring back that sens of ’’PRESENCE’’ given by a naturally sharp lens.

One last question; would you consider Leica’s lenses for example (the M series) as over-sharp? I believe not. And while we are talking about completely different ’’leagues’’ here, the G7’s optics are not that far in terms of pure Optical quality, the rest is sensor, in-camera processing, etc. There is an article on that at Luminous Landscapes. Just follow the link:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/Canon-G7.shtml

Michel Cojan's gear list:Michel Cojan's gear list
Nikon D3400 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
w3
w3
w3
w3
(unknown member)
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
(unknown member)
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow