Coolpix P5000 received + samples (large)

Started Mar 19, 2007 | Discussions thread
Michel Cojan
Michel Cojan Contributing Member • Posts: 694
Re: Image Quality...

Federico_ wrote:

....It seems to be so high...similar to an F30 , or even better, at
high ISO settings..
The "soft look" is a great great bonus...true professional quality.
I've had enough of over sharpened and over saturated images....this
is not quality!
It's a patetic, commercial way to sell new cameras...

Federico, when I am wondering about the P5000’s sharpness, I am referring to the LENS QUALITY ALONE, not the in-camera software applied sharpness (over sharpned or not) and not the in-camera processing, all together. And I was comparing it to Canon G7 and A640 because they both have very nice ’’naturally sharp’’ lenses (and results) and the P5000 is ment to be (to a certain degree) their direct competitor. Judging on what I’ve seen so far though (at low ISO), the P5000 LENS seems to me softer than the other two I mentioned above.

On the other hand, I beleive that having a sharp lens to start with, would’t harm anyone, and if I needed softer results at times, I would rather do the opposite and lower the in-camera sharpness, while i always can go back if sharper images are needed (not to mention that one could ’’soften’’ an image at will in PP). When the lens is itself SOFT, I ’m very much afraid no software (in-camera or computer based) could bring back that sens of ’’PRESENCE’’ given by a naturally sharp lens.

One last question; would you consider Leica’s lenses for example (the M series) as over-sharp? I believe not. And while we are talking about completely different ’’leagues’’ here, the G7’s optics are not that far in terms of pure Optical quality, the rest is sensor, in-camera processing, etc. There is an article on that at Luminous Landscapes. Just follow the link:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/Canon-G7.shtml

Michel Cojan's gear list:Michel Cojan's gear list
Nikon D3400 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow