Coolpix P5000 received + samples (large)

Started Mar 19, 2007 | Discussions thread
w3 Senior Member • Posts: 2,839
Auto ISOs - Re: Image Quality...

Federico wrote:

....It seems to be so high...similar to an F30 , or even better, at
high ISO settings..

Those two Nikon Coolpix P5000 images at higher ISOs seem to have been taken under P5000's Anti-Shake mode Auto ISO, with Shutter Speed at about 1/150s with the corresponding ISOs for the correct exposure.

Fuji F30's Anti-Blur mode Auto ISO would take pictures at ISOs to maintain a Minimum Shutter Speed of something like 1/300s or over, and would easily get to ISO 1600 or 3200 - too high to be useful.

F30's Natural Light mode would take pictures at ISOs to maintain a Min SS of 1/100s, and would produce images at SS from 1/100s to 1/200s with the corresponding ISOs for the correct exposure. The ISOs (and SS) chosen would usually be higher than necessary for still subjects.

F30's "regular" mode - M mode, which is actually P mode, would take pictures at ISOs to maintain a Min SS of 1/60s, and would produce images at SS from 1/60s to 1/120s (in the main region of the Auto ISO) with the corresponding ISOs for the correct exposure. The ISOs (and SS) chosen would still be a little higher than necessary for still subjects.

I am very much interested in finding out how Nikon P5000's P mode Auto ISO behaves. Is there a Min SS for P5000's P mode Auto ISO? What is it? I would imagine the Shutter Speed chosen under P5000's P mode Auto ISO would be slower than its ANTI-SHAKE's 1/150s. The ISO chosen would also likely be lower and therefore produce images at less noise.

The "soft look" is a great great bonus...true professional quality.

For those who don't mind doing PP.

I've had enough of over sharpened and over saturated images....this
is not quality!
It's a patetic, commercial way to sell new cameras...

Yes, some digicams would do that. It is much harder if even possible to save over-sharpened images during PP without losing much more detail. On the other hand, during PP - if you don't mind doing PP, you can safely sharpen the naturally softer images coming out of the camera.

Tones passages seems to be delicates and should be a good point to
have a good skin tone....and having a good file that allow us to
make a good PP work without too many artifacts is the road that
leads to the best quality and the best interpretation of the shot.

Agree:

Naturally softer images from the sensor without too much in-camera processing -> Less Artifacts -> PP (More Work though) -> Better Quality for those who don't mind the time and effort.

No camera default can do it...

But recent Coolpix digicams could have the defaults set for slightly sharper images. For those who are too lazy like me to change any camera settings or do any PP most of the time, we can get slightly better results directly out of the camera - knowing they wouldn't be the best.

Occasionally, or for those of us who aim for perfection, don't mind doing any PP, and therefore won't mind changing the camera defaults to softer settings, we can do so as well because most Coolpix models do allow users to set Contrast, Sharpening, Saturation, .... etc. Other digicams such as Fuji F30/31s don't.

So...excuse my poor English (as I'm italian..) and enjoy your
camera...

You did great.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow