Coolpix P5000 received + samples (large)

Started Mar 19, 2007 | Discussions thread
Michel Cojan
Michel Cojan Contributing Member • Posts: 706
Re: Coolpix P5000 received + samples (large)

Hi and Thank you for your first impressions and sample pictures.

I was VERY interested in this cam and wanted very much to like it, but first images I’ve seen so far are a little deceiving. I am not talking about noise and higher ISO, but more about lens softness, as well as the general look; lack of contrast, general softess of the image, softer in the corners than center... etc, etc...

I am a little bewildered that a company like Nikon, decided to market such a product, especially knowing that many of us will consider the P5000 a direct competitor to G7 or A640 from Canon, which in terms of pure IQ (I am really sorry to say it) is not. And I believe that the lens is to blame here; it is the same they used on the P3-P4 cams (and many other compacts), and the results seem to me very close; generally SOFT image. Pitty!

Anyways, I will still give this cam some credit untill I see some more samples with some custom adjustements; maybe that would help (although I already played a bit in Photoshop with the images you posted and the results are not that great).

Thank you again for your contribution.

Michel Cojan's gear list:Michel Cojan's gear list
Nikon D3400 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
w3
w3
w3
w3
(unknown member)
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
(unknown member)
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
w3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow