Overexposure problem

Started Mar 19, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Martin0001 New Member • Posts: 23
Overexposure problem

Is there an overexposure problem with the Nikon D80?

I have been using the camera for about 3-4 months and have become increasingly annoyed at the amount of time I have spent using gamma correction on the majority of pictures especially landscapes.

I have used program, aperture mode the most, and the 18-135 standard lens and the Sigma 70-300 APO lens. In program mode I am using the enlarged centre spot metering rather than the MM mode. I do sometimes use Auto mode as well (and I am infuriated here as to the amount of times the flash pops up - even when the camera is reading 1/200s etc).

Are there settings that I should be looking at to modify so that my pictures do not need so much post-processing. I am not keen to modify the ev settings unless there is a real problem with this camera - in which case Nikon should fix it.

I noticed this weekend that quite a few pictures were washed out even though, as I remembered the scene, the main subject just glowed with the light reflecting off it (it was the main road bridge over the river Severn using the 300mm lens to crop the main uprights). I had to use a gamma correction of 0.6 to get these pictures back to what I remembered and restore the depth of colour.

Any help would be appreciated.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow