I will never shoot JPEG again...

Started Mar 16, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
fuggy Contributing Member • Posts: 806
I will never shoot JPEG again...

I have shot RAW in the past and used PS CS3 for pp. The only real advantage I saw was the WB adjustment capability. Everything else was extremely manual and time consuming. The good news is, I consider myself quite advanced at PS now (have been using it for years for other purposes.)

After watching Suzybells nightmare evening, and all of the suggestions for raw converters, I went out to see what this capture NX is all about. Aside from being bloatware, the program itself is fantastic. I never realized how much detail was contained in the raw files and how it can work to your advantage. I can make drastic changes and always revert to the original. Unlike in PS history file, I can randomly undo something that I did.

The other thing that I was quite surprised with was the quality of the noise reduction filter within the program. Goodbye Neat Image and the time it takes to process each picture.

It will be an adjustment not using layer mask for virtually everything but it seems that Nikon really understands how to automate the processes of image enhancement. Being able to selectively adjust color, brightness, contrast, and saturation with the click of a mouse if very nice. Want to replace the sky? No masking involved!

PS still has its place but as far as image enhancement Capture NX is for me!

I would be interested to hear of others experience with NX. This is my first day with the app but I am sure you can tell I am a bit giddy!
--
Gymnastics Dad in the world of DSLR, Finally!

D50
Nikon 85mm f1.8 AF
Nikon 18-55mm AF-S DX
Nikon 70-300mm Zoom

And lest we forget my trusty Panny FZ50!

http://public.fotki.com/fugfuggy/

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Dan
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow