Nikon's PMA DSLR announcement

Started Mar 1, 2007 | Discussions thread
Sulis2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,121
Re: Nikon marketing

Very true. I destroyed most of my brain cells in advertising, and all the DSLR marketing betrays the cameras' far eastern, engineering-based roots.

Just the naming strategies are a waste of opportunity: Canon EOS 1D Mark II N, for heavens' sake. Pentax got sold a pup with the *ist concept (what do you ask for when you go into a camera shop?), and their new line name is instantly forgettable, as is Olympus. Nikon's is relatively straightforward, but still dull and unexciting.

Nikon has an invaluable heritage in photography, and should be leveraging that like mad. They can't compete head on with Canon's expertise in technology, so they should be emphasising that their experience translates into making cameras for photographers, not for spec sheets...

Sadly, Nikon have blurred their brand image with a lot of ill-thought-out decisions. Their compact camera line is uninspiring and looks just like everyone else's – so it doesn't look as though they have a passion for creating great images. They should be doing everything they can to lead people away from the bland images you get from a POS towards the images that you'll keep forever with a DSLR.

Their final problem is that they just have no idea about communicating with their customers. They're not alone in this, but somehow they feel the most aloof and 'we know what's best for you'. The Mac/PC example is a good one - Steve Jobs famously ignores focus groups and punishes any advance leaks of Apple products, but Macs still feel like they've been designed by people who love what they're doing. Apple puts human touches throughout their products, and this gives people a feeling of empathy with them (OK, I love my Mac).

If people feel connected with the products you make, they will forgive you if they're not necessarily the technical best. If you communicate that you understand what drives your customers, and exceed their expectations, they will stick with you and be ambassadors for your brand.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
RAL
(unknown member)
pjv
pjv
pjv
pjv
(unknown member)
thw
RAL
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow