10mp 10fps 1.3 crop

Started Feb 17, 2007 | Discussions thread
T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,546
Re: Great chance for us

Julia Borg wrote:

seems you never read Nikon Full Line catalog. they are very
explicit why they do not use fluorite.

one of the issues is the price of lens repair if the lens is dropped.

Nikon has said many things in the past that need to be taken with a grain of salt. They've had explainations for why they didn't use AF drive motors in their lenses (back when Canon was), why they didn't use ultrasonic motors in their lenses (back when Canon was), why they didn't offer image stabilization in their lenses (back when Canon was), why they didn't use CMOS sensors (back when Canon was), etc, etc, etc. Obviously, these "explanations" were necessary for marketing reasons, particularly in light of the fact that their arch rival, Canon, WAS offering all these things! So it would not be surprising that they would use this "lens drop" explanation, which sounds pretty ridiculous. Besides, has anyone bothered to compare the prices Nikon charges to repair their non-fluorite teles versus what Canon charges to repair their fluorite teles after a drop? Furthermore, is there any evidence regarding which one would sustain more damage? In the end, I think it's just something convenient for Nikon to say. Probably the more likely reason is that Canon developed the process to grow the fluorite crystals, and Nikon didn't. But like I said in the beginning, the vast majority of tele users have no issue with the use of fluorite in Canon's lenses. It certainly hasn't hurt the popularity of Canon's teles. It's only the odd Nikonian who believes its a problem. But that's nothing new. I remember in the days when Canon was the first one offering AF in their superteles, Nikonians were claiming that AF in superteles, and AF motors inside lenses, was "unreliable" and "problematic" and "prone to failure", and that's why Nikon was sticking to manual focus!

T3's gear list:T3's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a6000 +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow